CCTV security systems used to be out of the reach of most smaller businesses. The technology was expensive and the resolution of the images from the majority of camera systems was less than fantastic so half the time they weren’t that useful anyway. However, technology has advanced rapidly in recent times, and it has never been more affordable than it is now to install a top quality CCTV security system in your workplace.
Using CCTV to monitor your workplace comes with a number of potential benefits, some of which you’ve probably never even thought of. Here are just a few of them:
- Provide a visible deterrent to reduce the chances of theft or other criminal activity. A potential thief or vandal who might be thinking of targeting your business may think again if they see you have CCTV installed, and move on to an easier target.
- Reduction in incidents of workplace malpractice or harassment. Employees may be discouraged from behaving in an unprofessional or unethical manner if they know they are being filmed. In the event that something does happen, you will have recorded evidence that will greatly assist when investigating the matter.
- Workers compensation claims can be easily investigated and with video footage of injuries or other incidents, you’ll be able to more readily identify the cause of the incident and take steps to reduce or prevent further injuries. You are also covered in the event of a legal claim as you will be able to provide evidence showing that you have met all your OH&S obligations.
- Maintain a record of everything that happens in your business. In the future should you find that criminal activity has been taking place you will be more easily able to identify who is involved and provide evidence to police or other law enforcement.
CCTV systems can protect your organisation against a number of risks both from outside and from within but with so many different cameras on the market, just how do you choose the right one for your needs? We’ve put together a few pointers to help you make the best decision:
- How visible do you want your cameras to be? Depending on your location and type of work place you may want your CCTV system to be discreet or highly visible to act as a deterrent.
- Do you need to cover a large or a small area? Different CCTV systems will work on different sized areas. For a large area you might want to choose a camera type that has a large view range and can zoom in on anything that looks suspicious.
- Do you need static cameras or moving ones? CCTV cameras can be static or they can rotate to follow movement – the right type for you will depend on the size and shape of the area that needs to be covered and the location you want your cameras to be in.
- What level of detail do you need in your images? As a basic guide, the larger the area you’re monitoring the higher the resolution you’re likely to need. It’s important that whatever resolution you go for, you’ll get enough detail to be able to recognise individuals clearly and see what’s going on, otherwise your CCTV system is as good as useless.
- How well lit is your building? Different models work differently in low or high levels of light. You’ll also need to think about factors that could affect the camera’s functioning, such as glare and light reflections off other surfaces like polished floors. For outdoor cameras will they be effective in bright sunlight and at night? There are some great camera models out there that can alleviate most lighting issues – but you’ll probably want to speak to an expert to figure out the best one for your specific needs.
- How long do you want to keep your footage for? Different camera systems come with different storage capabilities. Many of the newer systems can keep your video footage for up to a year, which is a good idea if you are likely to require it for workers compensation claims or other legal purposes. Many of the systems we sell use the latest cloud technology for storage, which means your data will be instantly retrievable from any location
Advanced functions of CCTV systems make it more useful for some situations than others. Modern CCTV cameras can be programmed to identify moving objects or even faces, and some can even differentiate between different objects (for example, a person and an animal).
Because of this it’s possible to program instructions into a CCTV system based on movement. CCTVs can be configured to sound an alarm when certain events take place – for example when a person breaches a secure area. This added functionality helps make CCTV more useful for jobs involving security in and around buildings and limits false alarm call outs.
CCTV can be a complex matter, depending on your needs. While there are plenty of DIY CCTV systems out there, you’re far better off speaking to an expert who can talk you through the different options out there and help you determine your security needs. This is the best way to be sure of finding the right CCTV monitoring system for your commercial premises.
CCTV Monitor Installations in Melbourne
At Excell Security Systems we specialise in the installation of CCTV security cameras in Melbourne. Rather than a one size fits all package, we will custom select the best cameras and lenses to suit your needs, as well as calculating your storage requirements so you can keep your footage for as long as required. This means that your security system will be tailored specifically to your building and the needs of your business. This is essential if you want the optimum level of protection and coverage from your CCTV system.
We supply and install all the leading brands including Hikvision, Axis, Canon Vivotek, Bosch and Duhua and because we’re not aligned with any one manufacturer we will recommend the package that’s right for you. Our CCTV cameras all include remote smartphone and computer access from anywhere in the world.
We offer economical fixed package specials for CCTV installation in Melbourne, starting with a basic four-camera system from just $2599 fully installed. It may require an initial investment, but when you consider the potential losses your business could incur as a result of theft, vandalism or employee legal action, installing CCTV sooner rather than later can save you a great deal of money.
To have a chat with an expert about your CCTV needs and go through the different options available to you, give us a call at Excell Security & Surveillance today.