CCTV home security systems are becoming increasingly affordable and popular nowadays and they make a lot of sense for homeowners who may be out at work during the day and want to make sure their property is safe while they are away.
There are a number of benefits to installing a home CCTV system even if you don’t have a huge number of valuables in your home. These include:
- You have a record that can be used as evidence in the event of a break in or theft. Having CCTV inside and outside your home can be incredibly useful if you become a victim of a crime like robbery or vandalism. Your CCTV footage may assist you in catching the thief in question and help you recover your stolen items.
- CCTV is a visible deterrent. Homes that have obvious security measures like CCTV in place are generally going to be far less attractive to potential thieves than the homes that don’t.
- Peace of mind. When you’re at home you can have the peace of mind that comes with being able to see exactly what is going on in any area of your home at any time. You’ll be able to investigate any strange noises in the night without having to get out of bed. Many of the homeowners we speak to report feeling safer and more secure once they have a CCTV system installed.
One great benefit of CCTV is that you can keep an eye on what’s happening at home when you’re not there. This is invaluable for parents with kids or even pet owners who can check in on their pet regularly and make sure they are ok.
What to think about when choosing a home CCTV system
There are literally hundreds of home CCTV systems on the market and this can make it extremely difficult to choose the right one. Different homes have different needs and this means that the system your neighbour might rely on for their home just won’t work for yours. Here are a few things to take into consideration when choosing your CCTV monitoring system.
- The size of the area you’re monitoring. As a general rule, the wider the area, the higher the resolution of your cameras needs to be. If you’re just looking for a close up of your front door you’ll be able to get away with a lower resolution camera than if you’re trying to cover the entire backyard. If you’re going to be able to use the images captured as evidence for the police they will need to be clear enough to identify the people involved.
- Do you want wireless? Wireless CCTV systems have a lot of benefits – they are flexible and easier to install, they aren’t dependent on your phone line or mains electricity supply and you can view footage easily from your smartphone or computer when you’re not home. However, they are not for everyone so make sure you get professional advice before you decide.
- Do you need to store footage? Different systems have different storage capabilities and this is important to note if you’re likely to want to retrieve footage and view it at a later date.
If you’re considering a home CCTV system, speak to us first. We are specialists in the installation of CCTV systems for both residential and commercial properties. We can evaluate your home and recommend a system that will best suit your needs and budget.
Home CCTV Systems Installed By A Professional
One of the most important factors in the effectiveness of your home CCTV system is professional installation. While there are DIY kits available that you can install yourself, without specialist knowledge and understanding of how CCTV works, it’s likely that your cameras won’t be positioned optimally and you could even miss out on the level of coverage you achieve, leaving potential vulnerable spots that could be targeted.
CCTV installation is a complex process and it’s something that requires a specialist understanding of how CCTV systems work. Before your installer comes to install your CCTV, here are a few things you’ll want to think about:
- What areas do you want to focus on? If you can start with an idea of the main areas you want to monitor, your installer will be able to advise you on the more specific positioning and location of your cameras so you can be sure the areas you want covered are all in view. Some of the most important areas to monitor include front and back doors, stairways, backyards and windows that face away from the street.
- How do your neighbours feel about your CCTV system? Thanks to privacy laws, you could get into trouble if your CCTV cameras are inadvertently picking up on your neighbours’ activity. A professional installer will be able to help you ensure your neighbours’ privacy rights are not being impinged on and make sure your system is legally compliant. This can include signage depending on where you live.
- How will you prevent your cameras being vandalised or tampered with? If your cameras are not placed strategically they could be vulnerable to tampering with or even removed. This will then leave you at risk of theft. Your installer will be able to advise you on how and where to position your cameras for the maximum level of protection.
- Where do you want your wiring to go? For a hardwired system you will need to run wires and cables to your cameras so they can use your power and phone line (if you have an alarm system incorporated in your CCTV). Again, a professional installer will be able to help you find the best place for your wiring so you don’t end up with wires running all over the house and making the place look untidy.
We specialise in the installation of home CCTV security systems. Because every home is different, we’ll select the best cameras and lenses to suit your requirements, as well as determining your individual storage requirements so you can keep your footage for as long as you need.
Your installation will be carried out by one of our professional installers who will be able to advise you on positioning and location of your cameras so you can get the maximum coverage possible. We can take care of every stage of your installation so you can relax and enjoy the greater peace of mind that comes with knowing your home is safe and secure.
At Excell Security Services we supply and install all the leading CCTV brands including Hikvision, Axis, Canon Vivotek, Bosch and Duhua. Unlike many other suppliers, we’re not associated with one specific manufacturer. This means you can be sure we’ll actually recommend the best package to suit your home and security needs. It goes without saying that all our CCTV cameras include remote smartphone and computer access from anywhere in the world.
To find out more about home CCTV and have a chat about your home’s security, call us at Excell Security today!