Unfortunately, house breaking is an extremely common crime and while it’s common for offences to take place at night, in reality, you could be broken into at any time of the day. One way to protect yourself is to make your home as secure as possible.
The best way to be sure your home is secure is to seek advice from a professional security consultant, but you can get a basic idea of your home’s strengths and weaknesses by conducting a basic home security audit yourself. Here are a few of the things you will want to check for:
- Do you have security doors at all entrances and exits?
- Are your security doors triple locked?
- Do your front doors have a solid core?
- Is there a viewer so you can see who is outside your front door?
- Do you have deadlocks on all entry/exit doors?
- Are there window locks on all windows?
- Do you have security screens on your windows?
- Are there warning stickers displayed at your property to deter criminals?
- Are your main entry and exit areas well lit?
- Do you have timers on your lights for when you’re out after dark?
- Do you have sensor lighting in high-risk areas?
- Is your garage secure?
- Do you have a clear line of vision from outside to all doors and windows?
- Are your trees and shrubs trimmed?
- Do you have a security alarm fitted?
If you uncover any weaknesses in your home security, or even if you just want to make sure your home is as safe as possible, it’s best to speak to an experienced security consultant. This is particularly important if you have previously been a victim of a break-in or theft.
A professional will be able to conduct a more in depth audit and identify any areas of weakness you’ve missed. They will also be able to recommend the most effective security measures so you can be sure you have an optimum level of protection.
Don’t take chances with your home and family’s safety. Take steps to improve your home’s security and protect your property against damage or theft.