It’s that time of year when we move the clocks forward an hour for daylight saving, with many people also using this milestone as a reminder to check their smoke alarms. But what about your security system?
If your security system is going to work to its full potential, you need to make sure it’s functional and serviced regularly. If you neglect basic maintenance of your system or you fail to deal with technical issues, it may let you down just when you need it the most.
By keeping your alarm system maintained and serviced regularly, you can enjoy greater peace of mind and the knowledge that your security system is working perfectly and protecting your home or business at all times.
Here are a few things you can do to keep your system working optimally and identify any potential issues:
- Check your lighting is working. If you have motion-activated lights, perform regular checks to make sure no bulbs have blown or lights damaged. If thieves are planning to target your home, broken lights may give them just the opportunity they’ve been looking for.
- Inspect cameras. You’ll also want to check your CCTV cameras regularly to ensure they are working and they haven’t been tampered with. Check they are not being obscured by growing plants or any other debris so you can be sure you’re getting the full range of visibility when using them.
- Visually check your control panel. Without your control panel, your entire system is no good so you’ll want to check regularly for any signs of damage or wear and tear. Look out for loose wires or any visible signs that the unit might not be working as well as it could be. Some systems will let you run a test to self diagnose any issues (inform your monitoring service first before you do this!). If anything is found you can then arrange for a technician to come and take a look sooner rather than later.
- Make sure your software is up to date. Many smart home security systems rely on their operating system to work effectively. You’ll need to perform regular software updates to ensure your system is safe and secure from hackers as well as to fix any bugs that occur from time to time. For some systems this needs to be done by you, but others can be updated remotely by your alarm system monitoring service.
If you would like to entrust your security system maintenance to a professional, give us a call and have one of our experienced security technicians check your security system. We will undertake a range of different checks and maintenance tasks, including:
- Check the lines of communication so you can be sure your system is communicating with the monitoring station and all messages are getting through.
- Check the battery including back up battery so you can feel confident that your system will keep working if there’s a blackout.
- Make sure sirens and sensors are all working as they should be.
Excell Security technicians have expert knowledge in a wide range of electronic security systems. We can help you with both regular ongoing maintenance and servicing and troubleshooting problems. We can provide parts, maintenance and repairs to your existing security service whether it be for alarm repairs, CCTV or access control.
With regular servicing and maintenance, you will know your system is up and running and ready to protect your home or business from theft or vandalism – all year round.